WORKS on the Western Highway duplication project have temporarily stopped again, says lawyer to the activists Michael Kennedy.
"I am told there is no activity there today (Thursday)," he said.
"VicRoads have stopped because we approached the court last night. I am now seeking a stop of any works until at least next Wednesday when a mediation is scheduled."
The latest comes after the Aboriginal Heritage Council and Eastern Maar Aboriginal both issued public statements of support for the Western Highway duplication project earlier this week.
The statements followed a protest in Melbourne on Tuesday, where supporters gathered near Parliament House about 10am for a peaceful demonstration.
A Major Road Projects Victoria spokeswoman on Wednesday confirmed early works have been underway for several weeks across the 12.5km Western Highway duplication.
"All the necessary cultural and heritage permissions to work on this urgently needed safety upgrade and that's exactly what we're doing," the spokeswoman said.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.