Queensland has declared itself "good to go" and unveiled plans to reopen to all NSW residents and Victoria next week.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Tuesday the state will open to NSW from December 1 after a briefing with Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young.
Queensland will also fully open to Victoria on the same date if it goes 28 days without a case of unlinked coronavirus spread, a mark it is due to reach on Wednesday.
Ms Palaszczuk says NSW has already surpassed that threshold making it safe to reopen the border.
"Queensland is good to go, we absolutely want to see our tourism industry continue to flourish and prosper," she told reporters.
"It might be a little bit difficult getting some accommodation somewhere because ... a lot of tourism operators are saying that they are booked out.
"But we do want to encourage families to get together before Christmas, this has always been the aspiration of the national cabinet."
Families and travellers from NSW and Victoria will no longer need border passes from Tuesday, allowing them to make their plans for the upcoming holiday season.
Opposition Leader David Crisafulli welcomed the reopening, saying there was a collective sigh of relief from tourism operators.
He urged Australians to come to Queensland to help the state after a devastating year for its travel industry.
"If you are a Queenslander please consider a holiday at home, if you've got friends interstate, please encourage them to come here and let's try and salvage something out of the misery of 2020," Mr Crisafulli said.
Qantas and Virgin Australia will put on hundreds of extra flights and restart at least 10 routes in the lead-up to Christmas.
Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said the carrier was already seeing an uptick in demand for flights to the Sunshine State.
"We can't wait to see a repeat of the heartwarming scenes in Melbourne and Sydney this week with families reuniting after months apart, this time in Queensland," Mr Joyce said.
The reopening will also end a months-long border dispute with NSW and the federal government.
Dr Young confirmed a decision on reopening to Adelaide won't be made until the end of this month.
She says more time is needed to assess a cluster of 27 cases in the South Australian capital.
Dr Young noted that there was another case on Monday, eight days after the person had been exposed to the virus.
"We just need to wait for a little bit longer before we can decide what needs to happen," she said.
Dr Young also called for anyone in Queensland with symptoms such as a cough, cold, runny nose, sore throat, diarrhoea, nausea or vomiting to get tested.
Early testing will be critical for identifying and containing any potential outbreaks after the borders reopen.
Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said businesses, venues and patrons still need to use check-in systems.
The compliance with mandatory check-in systems will help contact-tracing and allow restrictions on social distancing in venues to be eased sooner.
"You are frontline of defence now," Ms D'Ath said.
"As a patron, as a Queenslander, please make sure when you're going into these businesses that you are checking in your details."
Australian Associated Press