Getting older doesn't mean that you have to become unwell.
Ageing involves change, both negative and positive, but there are steps that you can take to maintain your health.
Many different things happen to your body as you continue to age.
And while maintaining your physical health is important to healthy ageing, it's also key that you value the experience and maturity that you gain with advancing years.
Practicing healthy habits throughout your life is ideal, but it's never too late to reap the benefits of taking good care of yourself, even as you get older.
Following are some healthy aging tips that are good advice at any stage of life:
- Stay physically active with regular exercise
- Stay socially active with friends and family and in your community
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet - dump the junk food in favour of fibre-rich, low-fat and low-cholesterol eating
- Don't neglect yourself: regular check-ups with your doctor, dentist, and optometrist are even more important now
- Take all medications as directed by your doctor
- Limit alcohol consumption and cut out smoking
- Get the sleep that your body needs
To access current, local information to help you stay well, a long list of speakers and stall holders will descend upon Nhill Memorial Community Centre for the inaugural Health and Wellness Expo from 10am-3pm on June 27.
The event will all be hosted by former AFL footballer Dipper (Robert Dipierdomenico).
Participants will be able to find out more about taking control of their future and staying happy and healthy in their own home.
The expo is free, with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided.
Buses will be available from Dimboola, Rupanyup, Minyip, Murtoa, Jeparit, Rainbow, Kaniva, Goroke and Natimuk.
To book, visit hwexpo.eventbookings.com or phone 5391 4444 or 5391 4222 for more information.