REGION - Ararat Rural City Council has installed LED signs at its municipal offices in Ararat and the Lake Bolac Information Business Centre.
The project aims to improve Council's ability to efficiently engage with the community and to easily provide up-to-the-minute information across the municipality via the strategically placed signs.
Two five metre signs wrap around the south-east corner of the Vincent Street Municipal Office in Ararat while one three metre sign is located above the entrance to the Lake Bolac Information Centre.
The LED signs are able to display a scrolling text message in red, green or blue (or a mixture of these colours) and each message can be remotely programmed.
The installsation of the LED signs is estimated to have cost Ararat Rural City Council almost $26,000.
It is expected they will be used for a multitude of purposes, including:
* Alerting the community:
- 'Total Fire Ban - No fires in the open',
- 'Code Red day - All transfer stations close',
- 'CFA Burning off on Western Highway', etc
* Informing the community
- 'Council Meeting this Tuesday',
- 'Rate instalments are due by April 30',
- 'Ararat Art Gallery: New Fibre Art Exhibition now on'
* Educating the community:
- 'No plastic bags in your recycling bin',
- 'New parking meters arriving soon',
* Supporting community groups:
- 'Jailhouse Rock: March 22 to March 25',
- 'Please support Good Friday Appeal'.