Residents are encouraged to get their gas heaters serviced following two incidents requiring the Ararat Fire Brigade's attendance on Tuesday, June 22.
In the morning, units had attended to a callout near Ararat's town centre.
"CFA responded to reports of smoke issuing from an internal vent on High Street Ararat around 1.30am," they said.
"Two units from Ararat Brigade attended the scene. The crews issued a stop on the incident at around 2.20am."
Ararat Fire Brigade captain Daniel Ramsdell said it was a relatively minor incident, but one he hoped would prompt people to get their heating appliances serviced.
"It was a gas heater that likely wasn't serviced. It was producing an odd burning smell," he said.
"It's a reminder for people to service their heaters and service their wood fires in the heart of winter."
Heating appliances should be checked by an accredited professional at least once a year.
A Country Fire Authority spokesperson said there was also an incident at Ararat Primary School in the afternoon.
The school's heater is serviced regularly and the incident was only a minor one.
"The CFA was notified of reports at 1.01pm of a heater fire in Moore Street and was declared 'under control' at 1:15pm," they said.
"One vehicle was on scene from Ararat Fire Brigade. It was contained to a small gas heater."
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.