Ararat Fire Brigade responded to a potential fire hazard at 120 Barkly Street that was reported on Monday, May 10.
"The CFA was notified at 10.43am following reports of a shop fire. Two vehicles were on scene, both from the Ararat Brigade," they said.
However, Ararat Fire Brigade commander Wayne Hirst said the issue turned out to be a faulty electrical cable.
"It was the service line to the building. It was sparking and arcing externally, so there wasn't any fire inside the building," he said.
"The brigade got on scene and determined what the problem was. They then just kept an eye on i until the power company arrived."
Nearby businesses had their power turned off to avoid any complications but have since been able to resume operating as normal.
While the issue was being sorted, police also redirected traffic turning onto Barkly Street from the Ingor Street and the Pyrenees Highway intersections.
Do you have something to say on this issue? Send a Letter to the Editor to email@example.com