Ararat's National Australia Bank (NAB) branch reopened its doors on Thursday after a 'hoax' bomb threat forced the banking institution to shut hundreds of branches on Wednesday.
While the interruption dramatically affected metropolitan and larger regional branches, the Barkly St bank only operates from 9.30am-12.30pm, following a reduction of hours in August.
The NAB evacuated and shut all of its 600 branches, business banking centres and commercial sites across the country over a "physical security threat".
However, later in the day, the bank confirmed it had been a hoax.
"The latest advice from state and federal police is that the threat is not credible and has been deemed a hoax," the NAB said in a statement on Wednesday evening.
"As a result, we are pleased to advise that it is now safe to return to all NAB locations from tomorrow morning."
It is understood that the closure was due to a bomb threat, although neither NAB nor the Australian Federal Police would officially verify.
The lender acknowledged the disruption had been a nuisance for customers and staff but did not offer an apology for the shutdown.
"Their safety and security is our absolute priority and that is why we took the action we did," it said.
"We did so with the information that we had at the time."
NAB's digital banking services were unaffected by the nationwide mass closure.
In a statement, the AFP urged the public to contact police if they receive a bomb threat.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Ararat Advertiser, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ararat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.