Update 5pm: There have been no new cases in Ararat Rural City in the past 24 hours.
Other statewide data:
- 509 cases may indicate community transmission
- 1172 cases are currently active in Victoria
- 47 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 12 in intensive care
- 2,183 people have recovered from the virus
- Of the total cases, 3,002 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 272 are from regional Victoria
- Total cases include 1,778 men and 1,576 women
- More than 1,068,000 tests have been processed to date
2pm: Victoria has recorded 288 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.
It marks the first time Victoria has exceeded 200 cases in one day, swamping the previous 24-hour record of 191.
Specific updates for the Grampians and Wimmera municipalities are not yet available. As of Thursday, there were no active cases in the region.
Premier Daniel Andrews said on Friday the source of infection for 262 of the new cases remained under investigation, and that 37,588 tests were undertaken on Thursday.
"I'm foreshadowing it is going to rise further," he said.
He said hotspot residents would be asked to wear face masks in public. Victoria Police issued 60 checkpoint infringements around Melbourne lockdown area in past 24 hours
The update followed a national cabinet meeting on Friday.
After this, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced an inquiry into the hotel quarantine system, and that international arrivals would be capped at 4,000 people a week.
At the press conference Australia's Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly reiterated federal advice that residents in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire wear masks
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.