The Supreme Court of Victoria and County Court of Victoria have postponed recommencing some criminal jury trials, after previously planning to restart in Melbourne on July 20.
In a statement on Wednesday, the courts said they could no longer work on this date due to Victoria's spike in COVID-19 cases.
They said they were working on identifying a proposed recommencement date and further advice would be provided.
Jury trials have been halted since COVID-19 hit in March. The County Court was set to sit for more than 80 days in Horsham in 2020, to hear both criminal and civil proceedings, prior to the pandemic.
All Victorian courts have continued operating for a select range of matters to restrict the number of people entering court buildings.
The courts have been using technology to conduct a range of hearings, including on the new Online Magistrates' Court for some matters in Ballarat.
The statement said active steps would be taken to ensure 'all criminal work that can be progressed is progressed to minimise the backlog'.
Justice Anne Ferguson and Chief Judge Peter Kidd they were conscious of the impact of the decision to delay the recommencement of jury trials.
"We will continue the work to ensure that everything necessary is in place for the resumption of criminal jury trials as soon as it is appropriate to do so," they said.
"We thank all of those who have been contributing to those preparations across government and the profession."