ARARAT-BASED snake catcher Jamie Lind is recovering in hospital after a tiger snake bite.
Just hours after talking to The Ararat Advertiser on Tuesday about snakes - including safety, property clean-ups and removal of snakes from properties - Mr Lind was called to remove a reptile from a property at Willaura, south of Ararat.
After putting the snake in his vehicle, Mr Lind walked around the property with the owner and gave her a bandage to keep, giving her instructions on what to do if she was bitten.
As the conversation finished, Mr Lind put his arm out to stop the owner from walking any further as he spotted another snake.
"Lying there was one of the biggest tiger snakes I have ever seen," he said.
"I grabbed it by the tail and as I was picking it up above my head, it swung up to bite me on the face.
"I moved back to miss the bite and it bit me under my shoulder blade in my armpit area."
Mr Lind instructed the owner to find something to capture the snake, such as a wheelie bin or pillowcase.
"The site was impossible to bandage," Mr Lind said.
"The effects of the bite took effect straight away. I started passing out and vomiting.
"The ambulance took about 40 minutes to get there - they were guided to the property by a worker who was at the property."
Mr Lind said although snakes travelled in pairs at this time of the year due to breeding, it was uncommon to come across two within minutes of each other.
"My snake gear wasn't on me. It was already back in the ute," he said.
"I shouldn't have even attempted to grab it, but I did. I'm paying for it now and lucky to be alive."
Mr Lind spent 24 hours in intensive care at Ballarat Base Hospital before being transferred to a ward.
Talking from the hospital on Thursday morning, Mr Lind said he would have to retire from snake catching because the antivenom had an impact on his system.
"You can't have it twice. You get all sorts of complications," he said.
"I had two lots this time around. It was a very close call.
"I called my wife and children when I was at the property to say goodbye. I didn't think I would make it."
Mr Lind said it was a "freak accident" which nearly ended in disaster.
"I was full of adrenaline from catching the first snake," he said.
"It just shows how quickly things can turn and snakes aren't something to be messed with."
Mr Lind has cancelled his Jamie and Kim Mobile Zoo shows at the Murtoa Big Weekend and other upcoming venues.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from the Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from Ararat and districts, sign up here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.