Adoptable Pet Rescue is reminding residents to be mindful of their surroundings when out walking their pets in the region.
The call out comes after a Stawell resident approached the page to share the findings of rat bait.
"Someone around the Brown Street area in town is dropping rat bait on people's front lawn and nature strips," the message said.
"I've just found some on my lawn and the neighbours have as well."
Adoptable's Lynley Hoiles said the situation might be innocent, or it might not.
"It's very serious if someone is deliberately leaving rat bait in public spaces," she said.
"Looking at it in a different way, it could have fallen out of someone's bin.
This doesn't just impact dogs and cats, but children could pick it up as well.Lynley Hoiles
"Either way, rat bait is serious and something that shouldn't be taken lightly. This doesn't just impact dogs and cats, but children could pick it up as well."
Ms Hoiles said if anyone was to find any bait to report it and if they have the means to, to dispose of it.
"It needs to be disposed of safely as well," she said.
"And thoroughly washing hands afterwards is key, rat bait is something which shouldn't be taken lightly."
Stawell Vet Clinic owner Richard Hackwill said time was important if anyone thinks their pet ingested any kind of poison.
"The thing with rat bait is it doesn't affect them straight away, it can take days before you see any signs," he said.
"If somebody has seen them eat something the best thing is to get to a vet clinic and we can make them vomit which is usually adequate.
"If they haven't seen them eat it then they should note any signs of lethargy and if their gums are pale.
"It is something we see all the time but if there is malicious intent behind it then that is obviously concerning."
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from the Stawell Times-News. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Northern Grampians shire, sign up here.