Stawell Secondary College's principal has called for "pragmatism" around the school mobile phones ban.
Carlos Lopez is in favour of the ban but said he hopes common sense will prevail in its application.
"A ban like this needs to have some pragmatism attached. We need to understand the role of phones in society," he said.
"In my opinion a blanket ban probably is not effective but schools have an obligation to show and teach students the correct use of phones."
Mr Lopez said his school already has a no phone policy in place and is likely to be unaffected by the government's changes.
"Ours has been enforced consistently and the students are very good at abiding by it," he said.
"They know when they come to class it is time to learn not play on their phone."
ONE Ararat principal has welcomed a new state-wide ban on mobile phones in schools.
Education Minister James Merlino announced on Wednesday that all Victorian public school students would be banned from using their phones from next year in an effort to tackle cyberbullying and distraction in the classroom.
From term one 2020, students from prep to year 12 will have to switch off their phones and store them in lockers until the final bell.
Exceptions will only be granted to students who use their phones to monitor health conditions, or where teachers instruct students to bring their phone for a particular classroom activity.
In the case of an emergency, parents or guardians can reach their child by calling the school.
Ararat's Marian College principal Carmel Barker said the school had already taken steps to reduce distractions but welcomed the news.
"Marian College has a procedure in place to address classroom disruptions to the learning but no procedure is perfect and will need continual monitoring," she said.
"What I like about the approach announced (Wednesday) is that it has a universal tone - that we are all in this together, teachers, students and parents, working to address an emerging need and ultimately, to protect children.
"As educators and parents, we know that bullying of students online does not cease at the final school bell for the day.
"No school can address these concerns well in isolation but we have a better chance of being more effective by working with our parents, all staff and the students to share ownership and responsibility for appropriate use of all technologies.
"Regardless of any action schools take, educating all students about appropriate online behaviour and how to protect yourself online must remain our priority."
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan said he welcomed the decision and hoped other states and territories followed suit.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.