A plaque will be unveiled at the site of the former Mellier State School, north of Lake Bolac, on Sunday, April 28 at 2pm.
The school originally opened in 1906 and was located about halfway between Lake Bolac and Willaura at Mount Pleasant.
It operated from this site until 1919 when it was relocated to Norbank Road, about 8km away.
The reasons for the change of location are uncertain.
However, one could assume that the school was moved to be more geographically centred to the majority of students who were attending at the time.
However, the move did not come without protest.
In October 1917, a meeting was held at the school to gather support against the move.
Ultimately, though, this opposition was unsuccessful and the move was made.
The carriers involved in the shift were Downs of Beaufort, who used a traction engine and jinker to move the building.
The school was moved to a two-acre block of land donated by the Hucker Family at the corner of Geddes and Norbank roads.
Due to falling enrolments, the school closed in 1932.
In 1939, the building was moved to become the school at Dundonnell.
But unfortunately, it was burnt down during a bushfire in 1945.
The unveiling will mark 100 years since the relocation and is an opportunity to celebrate the relatively short history of the Mellier School.
All interested members of the community are invited to attend, especially anyone with a connection to the Mellier School at either site.
The first site of the school in Mt Pleasant Road will be marked for those wishing to make a visit.
Following the unveiling, afternoon tea will be held at the Lake Bolac Memorial Hall Supper Room. To assist with catering, a plate of afternoon tea would be appreciated.
The location of the site is 7km north of Lake Bolac on the Ararat Road, and 2km east on Norbank Road.
This event is being conducted by the Lake Bolac and District Historical Society. For more details, phone 0419 115 330.