A NINE day construction blitz on the Ballarat Line Upgrade will see trains replaced with coaches between Wendouree, Ballarat and Southern Cross Station at the end of March.
The blitz will take place between Friday March 22 and March 31.
On Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 March, coaches will replace Ararat trains for the entire journey.
While trains are not running on the line, crews will be completing construction on the half-a-billion-dollar project, including:
- laying track for the four-kilometre Millbrook passing loop
- building platforms and the overpass for the new Cobblebank Station
- working on station upgrades at Ballan, Bacchus Marsh and Rockbank
- installing major underground drainage between Melton and Caroline Springs
- building footings for signalling gantries at Ballan and Millbrook.
Maryborough trains will continue to run to and from Ballarat, connecting with coaches to and from Southern Cross Station.
Passengers are asked to allow an extra 45 minutes travel time and plan their journey on the V/Line website or by calling 1800 800 007.
A temporary timetable will be available at staffed stations and online closer to the time.
V/Line said there’s been a huge amount of progress on the project already this year, and more than 700,000 hours worked since construction began in late 2017.
While you’re with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from The Ararat Advertiser. To make sure you’re up-to-date with all the news from across the Ararat shire, sign up here.