Heather Nauert has withdrawn her candidacy for the position of US ambassador to the United Nations.
"I am grateful to President [Donald] Trump and Secretary [Mike] Pompeo for the trust they placed in me for considering me for the position of US ambassador to the United Nations," Nauert said in a statement on Saturday.
"However, the past two months have been gruelling for my family and therefore it is in the best interest of my family that I withdraw my name from consideration."
Nauert is currently spokeswoman for the State Department and was nominated by Trump to replace Nikki Haley, who stepped down from the UN role at the end of last year.
Prior to joining the Trump administration, Nauert was a journalist and Fox News presenter. Her nomination as ambassador had been criticised, with observers concerned that she lacked the political and diplomatic experience necessary to handle the role.
The State Department said Trump would make an announcement on a new nominee for the ambassadorship "soon".
Pompeo said Nauert had performed her duties "as a senior member of my team with unequalled excellence" and added that he had "great respect" for her decision.
Australian Associated Press