ARARAT is once again hosting the annual Seniors Festival and residents aged 60 years and over are being encouraged to get involved in the celebrations.
The theme for this year’s festival is ‘Get Social’ and a range of exciting events, from theatre to a wind farm tour, will be held throughout the month.
The festival celebrates the more than a million Victorians aged 60 and over who make such a valuable contribution to our society.
Here are five things to enjoy across the Ararat Rural City to get seniors started:
1) See a movie at the Astor Cinema Ararat. The U3A are hosting a special screening of the new release The First Man, starring Ryan Gosling on October 16 at 10.15am, followed by a light lunch. Tickets are only $5.
2) Get Active with Kelli Fellini: As part of the Ararat Active8 Festival, Kelli Fellini is hosting free mature age personal training sessions at Felini Health and Fitness – 31 Viewpoint Street, Ararat. Classes will be held on Tuesday from October 9 at 11am. Spaces are limited and bookings essential. Call Kelli on 0438 551 671 to book your place.
3) Catch a show at the Ararat Town Hall: Death By Soprano on October 11 is a fun, satirical cabaret that documents the A-Z of operatic deaths, while Hotel Sorrento on October 17 is an award winning play by Hannie Rayson which tells the story of three sisters who reunite after 10 years apart. Both shows are $25, $15 with concession. Tickets available at Town Hall Box Office or at ararattownhall.com.au.
4) Enjoy a Book: The Ararat Regional Library has a great service, hosts book clubs, and can even home deliver if you can't make it (conditions apply). Phone 03 5352 1722 for more information.
5) Travel for free: Seniors festival entitles Pension Card holders to free use of public transport between October 7-14. Why not take a train to Ballarat or Melbourne?