General News
24 July, 2026
Council backs temporary facilities at Carranballac
PYRENEES Shire Council has agreed to provide $20,000 to support temporary facilities at the fire-damaged Carranballac Recreation Reserve. But the issue led to criticism at Monday’s council meeting of the State Government’s bushfire funding programs which provide money to councils to employ recovery officers but not infrastructure.

The $20,000 agreed to by councillors will go towards the installation of a hard stand and power supply, helping to maintain community and sporting activities at the reserve while a community-led rebuild of permanent facilities is underway.
Cr Simon Tol said it was outrageous that the Shire was being forced to find the money instead of government.
“It’s a sad state of affairs when a shire struggling for money has to find $20,000 to help our local community.
“We get commitments from our local members of parliament that we are going to get $750,000 in a council support fund. I would have thought a council support fund was there to support the very communities that have been impacted by the fires
“But far from it, we’re only allowed to use that money apparently to employ someone in the office to help with the rebuilding process. We can’t use any of that money to buy a bit of gravel and help them in their endeavour to get a temporary structure going while they rebuild,” Cr Tol said.
Mayor Cr Damian Ferrari said council’s investment in essential infrastructure would help ensure the reserve remains accessible and functional for residents and sporting groups during the recovery period.
“Providing temporary facilities at the Carranballac Recreation Reserve is an important step in supporting the community’s recovery following the devastating Streatham-Yalla Y Poora fire,” Cr Ferrari said.
“The reserve plays a vital role in community life, and these temporary works will help ensure residents and the Carranballac Cricket Club can continue to use and enjoy the facility while plans for permanent rebuilding progress.
“Council is committed to working alongside the Carranballac community as it recovers and rebuilds. This funding will help provide certainty and continuity for community activities in the meantime.
Cr Ferrari also expressed his frustration with the guidelines around government funding.
“It’s just more red tape bureaucracy which just shouldn’t be happening in the community at their biggest time of need,” Cr Ferrari said.
Cr Tanya Kehoe said council’s $20,000 investment was a practical way of supporting the local community.
“This is a brilliant way of supporting the group down there. As we know they are very resilient, they’re working on trying to improve their facilities starting with temporary facilities to support community events,’
“This is a starting step that can really be utilised well by them and to help them start being about to rehabilitate the area,” Cr Kehoe said.
Last month, Council endorsed a community-led model for the reserve’s rebuild using a lump sum insurance payout.