North Melbourne footballer Majak Daw has appeared briefly in court to face three rape charges.
Daw, 23, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday charged with three counts of rape relating to an alleged sexual assault in Altona North in 2007.
He arrived at court with family and friends at 8.30am, an hour and a half before he was due to appear for a filing hearing.
Prosecutor Luisa Di Pietrantonio said the police brief of evidence against Daw would be served on his lawyers on Friday.
Magistrate Duncan Reynolds adjourned the case to August 22 for a committal mention.
Charges sheets released by the magistrate reveal the Sexual Crimes Squad claim the rapes took place between March 23 and March 24, 2007.
A stony-faced Daw left the courthouse about half an hour after his court appearance, walking straight past a large media contingent.
He refused to comment before getting into a waiting car parked outside.
Victoria Police detectives had initially filed a charges summons against Daw at the court on June 30.
Fairfax Media reported last month that Daw had been arrested and interviewed in May over the offences allegedly committed when he was 16.
The 194 centimetre tall ruckman has denied the allegations.
The first Sudanese-born player to play AFL, Daw joined the Kangaroos as a rookie in 2010, but has struggled to retain a regular spot in the team.
He played last Saturday for North Melbourne’s partial affiliate, Werribee, after being cleared by the AFL to continue keep playing.
In a statement released after Daw had been charged by summons, North Melbourne said the club would support Daw and he would remain available for selection at VFL and AFL level.
"The club respects the integrity of the legal process and asks that the right to privacy of all involved be respected," it said.