Penrith have released Tim Grant from the final two years of his contract, allowing the prop to join South Sydney next year.
The 26-year-old first asked the Panthers for a release several weeks ago but he and the club were unable to come to an agreement. It was indicated that Grant would stay at Penrith until at least the end of 2016.
But Grant again approached the Panthers recently about securing a release, which the club has agreed to. Grant, who played two games for NSW in 2012, was dumped to NSW Cup earlier this year before re-claiming his spot.
He is expected to play for the Panthers against Gold Coast on Monday night.
Grant will add experience and firepower to the Rabbitohs, according to Souths coach Michael Maguire.
“Tim has represented his state and played over 100 first grade games, so he will bring experience to our pack as well as strong defense and plenty of size,” Maguire said in a statement.
“He will add strength to our front row rotation, and we’re looking forward to him joining our squad next pre-season.”
Grant said he is excited to be joining Souths.
“South Sydney is a great Club and I’m looking forward to joining them next season,” Grant said. “However in saying that, I still have a job to do here at Penrith for the remainder of this season, and I’ll be doing everything I can to help the Panthers have a successful year in 2014.”