ARARAT - Ararat's McDonalds outlet was evacuated Saturday morning after a fire in one of the rubbish bins next to the drive through.
A staff member noticed the large bin smouldering when they left the store to dispose of some rubbish at about 9.15am in the morning.
The worker returned to notify other staff, evacuate the store and call the local CFA who attended and successfully extinguished the minor blaze.
Smoke was seen rising from the bin for some time with no damage to adjoining property other than $300 to the bin.
The area is known to be frequented by staff and customers who smoke but the cause of the fire which took hold due to the amount of flammable material inside including paper is unknown.